yum differential updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 12:28:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 14:44 +0300, Filip Tsachev wrote:
> I know SuSe implemented some sort of delta updates (I only read news
> back then), why not for rpm?

SuSE can do something like this as I do believe they run all the
mirrors.  Since Fedora is open and we allow redistribution, we have no
control over the majority of the mirrors that carry our bits.  This
means that mirrors could be Unix, could be Windows, could be Linux,
could be OSX, could be anything.  Delta RPMS require the server to have
some infrastructure in place to produce them on the fly, OR they have to
carry deltas from every possible entry point.  This could easily
increase the amount of data a mirror would have to carry by an order of
magnitude.  Not very cool when we're already at multiple gigabites just
for each Core release.

I have yet to see a proposal for doing Delta rpm like actions that
wouldn't cause extreme pain to the mirroring system, which we are very
dependent on.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora