yum differential updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 16:09:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 17:02 +0100, Robert Mortimer wrote:
> On the subject of bandwidth, would it be possible to produce install
> ISO images once a month that included latest updates? Images would be
> dished out by bit-torrent and for each install would reduce load on
> the main servers at time of first update.

While spinning an iso set is relatively easy, verifying it is a bit
hard.  Currently the way the trademark works, Red Hat would have to do
all this.  Given our 6 month release cycle, that is a lot of work to be
dropping on our heads.

> Alternately produce an update repository torrent with instructions to
> produce a local update repository. Each day a new tracker would
> be produced and used to update the local update repository.
> This could be automated as a script.

Um, whats wrong w/ rsync?  rsync to a local mirror, you get the bits,
you get the metadata, you only get the changed parts from day to day,
problem solved.  Why involve torrent?  Why make it even more
complicated?

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora