Does AIGLX work on FC5 + (updates or some of rawhide) yet?

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 23:02:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 17:51 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 18:31 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> > Hi,
> > > I have tried this, and my borders still disappear, and truthfully, not
> > > sure what else I am suppose to be seeing or what the difference is.
> > >
> > > So does this actually work just yet or still more in the alpha stages as
> > > of lately?
> > >
> > > If it does work, do you need to be running a fully compliant rawhide or
> > > can FC5+updates+gdm/metacity/xorg-rawhide packages work?
> > Kristian is working on FC5 packages.  They should be available soon.
>
> So are they available via rawhide install/upgrade or not for Fedora at
> all at the moment?

I'm successfully running rawhide on my laptop (centrino w intel video
chipset) with the aiglx/bling enabled in GConf - last week it was
causing noticeable slowdown, but it's working great today (I'm not sure
which update fixed the speed issues): nice subtle dropshadows on
everything, plus totally over the top explosions when you minimize a
window (I'm not kidding!).  I'm also in the process of trying it out on
this box (yum update to rawhide in progress as I write...)

So, yes, it's available in rawhide, the only thing I had to do was set
the GConf key /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager

YMWV - Your Mileage Will Vary though (bug reports would be great - I've
already filed a couple of bugs; "it works for me" reports are also
useful)

Hope this helps
Dave