firefox update to 1.5.0.2 possible?

Josh islifefun1975 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 17:13:51 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote: On 4/14/06, Josh  wrote:
> Are you saying that fedora packaging is disabling major features of a  major web
> browser? I do not see how compile time options can disable an update feature.

You realize that the fedora packages have patches right?

> The reason for Mozilla providing binary updates is to prevent users from
> fetching the entire build. If fedora cannot provide such feature,  it remove
> the "Check for updates" link from firefox. Users won't be misinformed that
> no updates are available when security fixes are actually available.

I understand the reason why mozilla does what it does. I'm telling you
that binary diffs from mozilla can not be applied to fedora builds.
This is an inherent limitation to how binary diffs work.. you can't
take a diff meant to be applied to binary A  and apply it to binary B
and expect to get something functional.  You seem to have a poor
understanding how how diffs work and until you gain better
understanding of that technology you are going to continue to
misunderstand why the update mechanism that is designed specifically
for mozilla.org builds and only mozilla.org builds of firefox has to
be disabled.

Im pretty sure the check for updates for the fedora build of firefox
is there to check for updates for things like per-user installed
extentions/plugins.. which can be installed by individual users into
their home directories and are not packages as rpms and thus not in
the system directories.  Checking for those updates, is still a valid
action regardless of whether firefox is built by fedora or mozilla or
anyone else.. since users are going to the extentions website and
installing these extentions.
If fedora intends to allow updates to extensions and plugins, the term "Check for updates" should specifically say "Check updates for  Plugins and Extensions". User's won't be misled into believing there are no updates to firefox itself.

I do online banking and browser security matters to me.

Josh