firefox update to 1.5.0.2 possible?

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 19:35:09 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Cam <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:

> When I update from Mozilla, it checks compatability of installed third
> party extensions. That's part of the value of the Mozilla update that
> you miss out on if you use rpm updates. In a worst case scenario I might
> use an rpm update and find that my 3rd party extensions have stopped
> working.
>
> I'll ask again, is there a way to provide a smooth transition from the
> default Fedora Firefox to a Mozilla self updating one? The reason I'm
> asking is because I imagine a significant number of users might want to
> do that.

Does Firefox show a dialog about extension compatibility and then
allows you to cancel the update if there are incompatibility?

After updating to FC5 (Firefox 1.0.7 to 1.5), Firefox put up a dialog
about the incompatible extensions and then did the extension update to
the new, working versions.  Not to mention that 1.5.0.2 is
fully-compatible with extensions for 1.5.0.

 - Ian