X broken

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 01:16:13 UTC 2006

I have Fedora Core 6 Test 2 running in a virtual machine on a Fedora Core 5
host running VMware Server 1.0.  FC6T2 installed fine, however I ran yum -y
update last night, and after getting around a dependency failure with
evolution-data-server and evolution-webecal, installed over 100 updates.
Today I updated another 46 packages when I got home.  After that I closed my
terminal and noticed that I was unable to open any application windows.
After clicking on an launcher, what looked like a terminal window would
flash on the screen and then nothing.

I rebooted at that point, and now X will not start in runlevel 5.  I have
the system in runlevel 3 and it boots as one would expect, but I cannot get
anything graphical working.  X -configure and
system-config-display --reconfig both fail to work properly, and running
startx gets as far as loading the background, and then it looks like panels
and windows attempt to start but all die as fast as they come up.  On the
plus side the mouse works, though with just a background it's pretty
useless.

The following is what I consistently have on my display when killing X:
(nautilus:2205): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_new_private:
assertion `text_uri != NULL' failed
nautilus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined
symbol: cairo_xlib_surface_create

(nautilus:2211): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_new_private:
assertion `text_uri != NULL' failed

(nautilus:2211): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_new_private:
assertion `text_uri != NULL' failed
nautilus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined
symbol: cairo_xlib_surface_create

(nautilus:2219): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_new_private:
assertion `text_uri != NULL' failed

(nautilus:2219): libgnomevfs-CRITICAL **: gnome_vfs_uri_new_private:
assertion `text_uri != NULL' failed
nautilus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined
symbol: cairo_xlib_surface_create
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

To reiterate this is basically a clean install.  I installed, updated,
updated a second time, installed firestarter, clamav, and clamav-update
packages from extras before noticing the problem, and then rebooted.
runlevel 3 works, but nothing graphical...

Best Regards,
Jason