fc6t2 install hangs after trying to start X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Aug 11 21:39:06 UTC 2006

David L wrote:

>>> I tried a "hard drive" install on my IBM thinkcentre and it hung
>>> after trying to start X.
>>> Here's what I saw:
>>>
>>> Probing for video card: Intel Corp 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
>>> Attempting to start native X server
>>> Waiting for X server to start... log located in /tmp/ramfs/X.log
>>> 1...2...3...4...5... X server started successfully
>>> _X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost:6001:
>>> Temporary failure in name resolution
>>> (mini-wn:462):Gtk-WARNING**:cannot open display:1
>>>

>>> The last line in the X.log was "No modes found on either pipe"
>>
>> Are you installing rawhide? (current content on mirrors) - Or are you
>> using the dvd.iso downloaded to a hard disk or content of the
>> installation disc?
>
> I was installing from a hard disk directory containing the CD iso's,
> not the current rawhide.

Thanks! I believe you can still try to install from a hard disk that
contains the ISO files for CD version or just the DVD.iso for the DVD
version. Maybe something was not right with the transfer of the data to
the hard disk.
  I did this before with the multiple CDs and it worked out fine. Since
you copied from hard disk, I was not sure which method you used.

I tried an upgrade of FC6T2 on both an 865G and one with an Intel 915
from the created DVD. Neither computer (both Dells) had any problems
after the upgrades. (both FC5 installs)

Jim
--
Obviously I was either onto something, or on something.
              -- Larry Wall on the creation of Perl