FC6 t2 rescue mode problems

bloch at verdurin.com bloch at verdurin.com
Tue Aug 15 12:11:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Will Woods wrote:

> Hi! First, let me say "Thanks!" for trying out one of the test releases.
> We really appreciate the help. You might want to check out the FC6t2
> test status page - that's the main place we're trying to track what
> works and what doesn't.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/FC6Test2TreeTesting

Yes, I should have looked at that first.

> On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 21:51 +0100, bloch at verdurin.com wrote:
> > Owing to the problem listed in bug 202139, I am unable to boot my laptop
> > with the current test2 installation.  I've been trying to use rescue
> > mode to install a non-Xen kernel.
>
> Ick. I'll add 202139 to the list.
>
> > The first problem I noticed was that bringing up a network interface did
> > not work - /usr/bin/ifconfig was not found.
>
> This is a known bug (#201372). It's already fixed in rawhide, so this
> will be gone in Test3.
>
> > The second problem was that installing the kernel once chrooted into the
> > installed system did not work - there was a complaint about not being
> > able to find /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm/Basenames, even though that file
> > is present.
>
> Weird. Have you filed a bug about this? I'll investigate it either way
> but I'd like to have a bug number to track this problem.

Filed now as 202588.

> > The third problem was that I tried to get around this by installing the
> > kernel manually.  When I tried using mkinitrd, there was an error,
> > complaining that /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions was not found.  I didn't
> > really expect mkinitrd to work, but I doubt it should have this error.
>
> Was the file present? Are you sure the chroot was OK?

It's quite possible the whole chroot wasn't working properly, which
would partially explain the other problem.  Unfortunately, I had to
re-install as the machine couldn't boot at all in that state.  However,
I'll see if I can install RPMs using the rawhide anaconda.

Adam