fc6t2 install hangs after trying to start X

David L idht4n at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:14:10 UTC 2006

>>>Two questions: Are you using the iso images directly from the hard drive
>>>that you are using for the install? Have you tried a text mode install?
>>>
>>I'm not sure what your first question means, but I think the answer is
>>yes.
>>My images are on hda3 in the tmp directory and that's what I specify
>>after booting from a CD with the first disk image and using "linux
>>askmethod".
>
>Yes, I was asking whether you expanded the disk content or if you just
>placed the iso images in a directory when installing.

[snip]

>>I tried a text install today and it worked, but came up in text mode after
>>the install and system-config-display failed with symptoms similar to
>>the failure during the install.  I can send the X log to you if you want.
>>The tail of it is pasted below.
>
>Probably the best thing to do is to yum -y update "xorg*" your system to
>get the latest upgrades for your system in order to see if current rawhide
>has the fix applied.

yum -y update "xorg*" changed the behavior, but it still didn't work.
Instead of exiting, startx and system-config-display both caused the
monitor to go blank and the little led on the monitor started flashing
indicating no signal or a bad signal I think.

>If that does not fix the problem, you might attempt changing the driver in
>your xorg.conf from i810 to vesa and attempting to start X. If the vesa
>driver works and the i810 is causing problems, you might be able to file a
>bug report against the i810 driver for xorg-x11.
Changing i810 to vesa made it start working.

Thanks...
                     David