fc6t2 install hangs after trying to start X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Aug 18 21:21:54 UTC 2006

David L wrote:

>> Probably the best thing to do is to yum -y update "xorg*" your system
>> to get the latest upgrades for your system in order to see if current
>> rawhide has the fix applied.
>
> yum -y update "xorg*" changed the behavior, but it still didn't work.
> Instead of exiting, startx and system-config-display both caused the
> monitor to go blank and the little led on the monitor started flashing
> indicating no signal or a bad signal I think.

It definitely sounds broken. It is as you say or a third possibility, it
is outputting to the imaginary second head of the video card.

>> If that does not fix the problem, you might attempt changing the
>> driver in your xorg.conf from i810 to vesa and attempting to start X.
>> If the vesa driver works and the i810 is causing problems, you might
>> be able to file a bug report against the i810 driver for xorg-x11.
> Changing i810 to vesa made it start working.

Don't forget to query bug reports for the xorg-x11-drv-i810 and file a
bug regarding the broken driver.
I have interest in your problem being resolved because I have an Intel
865G also. It works as an upgrade, but might fail as a fresh install.

Did you try the i810-xorg.conf file that I sent out earlier? Did it
work? Or am I extremely fortunate? :-)

Jim

--
Today is a good day for information-gathering.  Read someone else's mail
file.