CALL for Testing: kadischi under 64 bit hardware

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Aug 28 15:58:53 UTC 2006

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> An official Fedora LiveCD is something we all are looking forward to
> see in the Fedora
> community. Kadischi will be the tool to create such a livecd.
>
> Recently we got support from fedoraunity.org for testing Kadischi and
> its product (the Livecd).
>
> Unfortunately, we lack materials, precisely 64 bit hardware, to test
> with Kadischi.
>
> This is a call for fedora users/developpers/testers, to test kadischi
> under 64 bit hardware, and file bugs against Kadischi in Bugzilla or
> on the fedora-livecd mailing list.

I have a 64 bit box and would love to help test...

> Thanks for helping :)
> The Kadischi Team and Fedora Unity
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kadischi

How about adding another link to the wiki near "documentation, FAQ, etc." which points to a test plan and some test cases?  For a lot of projects we could lower the barrier to entry by providing suggestions on how and what to test.  It isn't always necessary to have a complete understanding of how the package works in order to test it *if* you have good test cases with expected results.  In my own experience I've learned a lot about packages I did not know very much about by following good test cases and what we refer to internally as "how to test" instructions.

I see three components required for community testing:
1) Time donated by community member
2) Hardware to install Fedora and run the tests on
3) Knowledge of the software

I believe there are many cases where a community member already has 2 of the 3 components above.  Making it easier for them to acquire the third one benefits everyone :)

So, in my case, I have #1(time) and #2(hardware), but I don't have #3(knowledge).  Because #1 is not in infinite supply and I'm interested in learning lots of other things, I'm not willing to spend #1(time) on acquiring #3(knowledge) to test this particular package.

HOWEVER, if #3 was not required because test cases and expected results were provided, I would be willing to provide #1 and #2 :-)

My thoughts here are not meant to single out Kadischi, but to think in terms of how we can increase community testing as a whole to increase quality and speed up the release cycle.

John