FC6 test2 hangs at "Looking for fedora core installations"

John Yurcik jyxeon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:39:05 UTC 2006

My hardware is a homebuilt sempron 2800,  512MB ram  GeForce FX 5500gpu. I
have several linux distros installed successfully and have had previous
fedora installs (FC3 thru FC5).
I'm using the dvd test2 release which I burned and did a media test on-it
Passed media test. I've tried the nousb, noprobe, and text installer
options, but the installer hangs after the "Looking for Fedora core
installations" annoucement. At that point the screen goes black and the
system just displays the cursor with the spining grahics. No other activity
is detectable i.e. no hard drive light and no cdrom activity.

Opening consoles F1-F3 gives:
"Running anaconda, the Fedora Core system installer please wait ...
Probing for video card:  nVidia  Corporation NV#$ [GeForce FX 5500]
Attempting to start native X server
Waiting for X server to start ... log located in /tmp/ramfs/Xorg
1...2...3...4...5... X server started succesfully.
Starting graphical installation ...
install exited abnormally [1/1]

One of the consoles gives me a shell (sh.-3.1)

and I've included jpg images of the other console output.
The jpgs are pretty clear IMO. If there's anymore needed let me know-and
thanks in advance for any light shed on this.

I guess the jpg files made the message too big and I can't capture the
screens of those consoles.
 The last few lines of  one console are WARNING : step installtype does not
exsist
Warning : step does not exsist INFO : moving (1) to step welcome INFO :
moving (1) to step betanag INFO : moving (1) to step findrootparts