Weird desktop wide application focusing/cursor problem

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Wed Aug 30 18:23:30 UTC 2006

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

>>> It may depend on a display driver used.
>> Why would the display driver have anything to do with this?
>
> Things which are drawn on your graphic display have something, as
> it happens, to do with your display driver and its configuration.
> Such driver handles also such details as acceleration, cursors -
> hardware or software, offscreen video memory, etc...
> BTW - did you try to see what will happen if you will turn
> SWcursor option on?  By default is off.
>
>> Visual feedback
>> works just fine when focusing a window it's just as if the client area of
>> that window doesn't receive that focus event anymore.
>
> Right.  So one possibility is that something is getting confused
> about locations of these areas but a question is where.  An
> information that something like that is observed only with a
> particular driver (or maybe even hardware) or is driver independent
> makes a difference when you are trying to figure it out what
> happens.

I have no doubt that a driver might be involved in this but if it is then
it's much more likely to be the input driver rather then the display one.

As I found out while I can't input any text when this happens I can still
select text in the window. The selection is displayed with a gray
background though indicating that the windows doesn't have focus. So the
input driver seems to send proper click and drag events and they arrive at
their intended target but the click doesn't seem to result in focusing the
client area. It does focus the window though so the event does seem to
reach the WM but not the app.

Regards,
   Dennis