Fedora Core 6 Test Update: poppler-0.5.4-4.fc6

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 15 08:26:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 11:29 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Fedora Test Update Notification
> FEDORA-2006-1458
> 2006-12-14
>
> Product     : Fedora Core 6
> Name        : poppler
> Version     : 0.5.4
> Release     : 4.fc6
> Summary     : PDF rendering library
> Description :
> Poppler, a PDF rendering library, it's a fork of the xpdf PDF
> viewer developed by Derek Noonburg of Glyph and Cog, LLC.

> Update Information:
>
> This update solves a conflict between the poppler-utils and
> xpdf-utils packages.

This package doesn't fix anything:
# apt-get upgrade
        file /usr/bin/pdftoppm from install of poppler-utils-0.5.4-4.fc6
conflicts with file from package xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
        file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz from install of
poppler-utils-0.5.4-4.fc6 conflicts with file from package
xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
E: Error while running transaction
E: Handler silently failed

# yum update
Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/pdftoppm from install of
poppler-utils-0.5.4-4.fc6 conflicts with file from package
xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
  file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz from install of
poppler-utils-0.5.4-4.fc6 conflicts with file from package
xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6

Seems as if you need to provide an epoch:
# rpm -q --provides xpdf-utils
xpdf-utils = 1:3.01-26.fc6

BTW: The breakdown your poppler-utils*3.* causes, for me causes yum to
kill the rpmdb almost deterministically with different symptoms on
several FC6 machines. From seen properly complaining and aborting like
it did above, over yum waiting for ever (over night), to seeing yum
segfault I have seen almost every possible breakdown.

Ralf