renaming /dev/hda to ./dev/sda

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Tue Dec 19 19:26:57 UTC 2006

I read that FC7 will use a new libata, which will cause /dev/hdX
to be renamed to /dev/sdX, which will cause various things,
including grub (and old documentation) to break.

So why we are we renaming /dev/hdX to the much-less-natural /dev/sdX
in the first place?  If we're now unifying PATA and SATA, wouldn't
it make more sense to rename sdX to hdX insted?  I know what "hd"
stands for - what does "sd" stand for?  Is this going to be another
one of those "it's called that for obscure historical reasons"
Unix things?
--
	--Per Bothner