rawhide report: 20061219 changes

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 20 16:35:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:53:04 -0500,
  Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> That may not be the case.  Then you're asking the installer team to track many
> more releases than they aught to.  Using updates.img is a far easier/simple
> way of fixing installer bugs, rather than trying to stabilize the installer
> across new package sets as updates are made.  I'd much rather have them
> spending their time making improvements for the next Fedora release.

Doesn't that work still need to eventually get done in any case? The fixes
will need to be done before the next release. Maybe there is some time
savings in not worrying about things until the next release and handling all
of the issues at once?

I wouldn't think the extra work would be all that much, anaconda doesn't have
all that many dependencies and they are typically things you guys don't
muck with a lot until the next release anyway.

I don't see updates.img as all that great of a solution. There is about
2GB of FC6 updates already (though this includes some cases of multiple
updates). Currently there probably are only a few people even trying to
do respins, but with the merging of core and extras I expect there to be
more people who want to do custom respins.