FC5T2 issues with GLUT

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 20:41:35 UTC 2006

On 1/29/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm taking a class on computer graphics and we are using GLUT to
> develop OpenGL programs.  There seems to be a problem with GLUT on
> FC5T2 x86_64 (currently updated).  Compiling a simple OpenGL program
> with GLUT and running it produces:
> $ ./gltest
> ./gltest: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot
> enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied
> Disabling SELinux yields:
> $ ./gltest
> freeglut (./gltest):  ERROR:  Internal error <Visual with necessary
> capabilities not found> in function fgOpenWindow
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  4 (X_DestroyWindow)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  16

Well, I still have the same issues with SELinux enabled as above, but
the new version of GLUT gives a more meaningful error (a definite
improvement) with SELinux disabled:
$ ./gltest
freeglut (./gltest): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display ':0.0'
$ rpm -qa freeglut
freeglut-2.4.0-3.i386
freeglut-2.4.0-3.x86_64

I have an nVidia 6600 GT graphics card, but am only running the nv
driver.  Still, I have run similar GLUT programs on machines with no
hardware acceleration, so it seems like some software stuff should
kick in (as well, the programs are 2D only).  Why is this (software
rendering) not happening here?
I tried late last night to get the binary nvidia driver installed
without much success to see if it would work then.  At first it
wouldn't compile, then I get the latest patch and it seemed to
install, but X refused to start.  It was late, so I didn't pursue it
very far.  Has anyone successfully installed the nvidia driver?  I may
try again later.
I did reinstall the mesa rpms after trying this to make sure nothing
got clobbered.

Jonathan