CDs mount to volume name

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Feb 8 19:04:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, John Pearson wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 7:36 pm, John Summerfied wrote:
> > Yesterday 7:36:06 pm
> >

> > alan wrote:
> > > The gnome-volume-manager now mounts cds to "/media/{volume_name}",
> > > instead of "/media/cdrecorder".
> >
> > It happens, I think, with all filesystems on all mountable devices, and
> > I think it's not actually gnome-volume-manager but something in hotplug
> > or one of its allies. Happens on SUSE 10 too.
>
> While generic labels can be convenient, I find it very useful for maintaining
> backups using usb enclosure mounted hard drives.   I can test for correct
> destination at the top of the script, and not wreck havoc if the wrong volume
> was spun up.  [They all look about the same from the outside.]
>
> For installation, it makes identifying the inserted disk a simple test of
> [ -d /media/super_project_x ]

You can accomplish the same by having a unique filename on the disk.

[-f /media/cdrecorder/file_i_am_expecting ]

This change may be convienient to you, but it breaks pretty much any
software that expects the old behaviour.  (i.e. every third party
installer, gtktalog, multi-disc installs, etc.)

I can see why you want it, but it breaks too damn much existing code we
have no control over.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."