CDs mount to volume name

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 10 09:33:37 UTC 2006

Karsten Fischer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2006, 15:22 -0700 schrieb Michal Jaegermann:
>

>>I still scratch my head what you are gaining by mounting removable
>>media at some pseudo-random locations.  They are effectively random
>>as a volume name is not apparent from a shape of some CD.  It may
>>even be empty.  As it was noted on a desktop you have a label with
>>that volume name anyway.
>>

> Ease of use in the end, that is the gain, at least from a certain
> perspective. And yes, on the desktop the volume label is present. So I
> really would assume that somewhere in the directory structure this label
> turns up, so that I can access the given volume without the knowledge
> about on which physical drive it is actually inserted, it may be my
> DVD-ROM, my CD-ROM, my DVD-Writer or even some pretty obscure device

Mostly, people have one, maybe two, optical drives. Those who care have
little problem recalling that cdrom0 is the top one, cdrom1 the bottom
one (or whatever applies).

Those who don't care, of course don't care so the same convention can
apply without causing confusion or inconvenience.

> which might even be as hotpluggable as hell. It simply doesn't make
> sense to me that a volume on the Desktop appears differently from its
> real mount point. Everything else is a bit like Windows, where

_why_ does it matter to you that the two names are the same? Would you
feel differently if you were working entirely at a bash prompt?

> everything seems to be around drive C:\ or D:\ and so on.
>
> When I do insert a DVD into the drive I am certainly more interested in
> its content than its physical appearance.

and if you're working at the commandline and it mounts at /dev/dvd I'm
guessing you will find that less confusing than guessing what the
blessed volume's internal label us. For most of _my_ CD and DVD
collection, probably all, there is _no_ way of telling by looking at it
what the internal label is.

--

Cheers
John