CDs mount to volume name

Fulko Hew fhew3 at cogeco.ca
Sat Feb 11 03:12:48 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette replied:

> Naming the mountpoint by the label or volume name is not a smart
> practice. The only effect this has is to make using the cli less easy.
> I  label the discs that I make with rather long titles and would not
> like to type /media/Customer one system backup from 2/10/2006 with all
> the escape characters in order to change directories. Typing cd
> /media/cdrecorder and typing ls to list the files is a better idea.
> I do like this information displayed on the desktop with the label
> though.

I don't mind if there is a desktop icon appear with a magic name.
I never use the desktop anyway, or to put it differently...
don't force me to use the desktop and its icons.

"It is OK to add glitz and chrome, just do remove the infrastructure."

>> This sounds similar to a problem I had with logical volumes a few weeks
>> ago....

... snip ...

> I noticed a problem someone was having on the Fedora-list with an lvm
> system with the same labels and LVM information for the disk he
> inserted into a USB enclosure then tried to access the information. I
> could not help him with the recovery of his data with the two exactly
> labeled LVMs.
> I was able to recover my data from an LVM from a disk inserted into a
> USB enclosre on a system with regular partitions. I had to activate
> the LVMs and then manually mount the partions to directories that I
> had to create for mountpoints. If you still have a disk with the LVM
> install, you might be able to recover data from it using a
> traditionally partitoned system.

Yup.  That was me.
And thats what I ended up doing.
Since my newly created FC4 was trashed, and I had
to rebuild it anyway, I rebuilt it without LVM.
(I can't see where LVM would help me on a single
drive laptop anyway? )

... So now I didn't have conflicting names, and I could
mount my plain FC4 as a 'regular' device onto my
LVM'ed FC3, and copy all my FC3 stuff to the 'plain' FC4.

>> On the other hand, _maybe_ there was a way to do it, but dammed it we
>> could figure it out from the documentation.  :-(

... snip ...

> LVM problems:
>
> If LVM disks in USB enclosures are mounted, they could be inherit an
> appending to the volume group with a usb extension. Either that or
> random numbers for the volume groups could be used in the future for
> LVM naming. (8-character)

But the problem was that regardless of USB or not,
or appended magic names or not, it seemed that
you had to mount the logical volume into a logical group.
You can't just mount the device, (USB or otherwise)

I think the LVM examples showed how to add a volume to an
existing group (not what I wanted) or it showed how to
initialize a new volume (name) within a new group (not
what I wanted either), but I couldn't find out how to add
an existing volume to a new group (let alone with a
duplicated volume name)

In the end, I finished my migration, but it wasn't as easy
and clean as I had hoped.