Not sure how to do this - any help would be appreciated (wireless lan)

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Feb 11 12:12:42 UTC 2006

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found how to get the inbuilt WLAN to work on my Toshiba A10 by
> following the advice at
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/2276/sort/2/cat/all/page/1
>
> The problem is two fold here. The first is that I could do with having
> the three modules autoloaded on boot each time I fire up the machine. I
> know I can put them into mod* in /etc, but it looks like the device
> needs 3 modules, so setting something like alias orinoco_cs sit0 can't
> happen (unless all 3 modules can be put on the alias or something like
> that).
>
> Is it just a case of adding modprobe hermes, orinoco and orinoco_cs and
> then aliasing orinoco_cs to sit0?
That's wrong:-)
sit0 is an ip6inip4 tunnel.

I have a Toshiba Sattelite in which I use and Orinoco and/or Wavelan
card. It shows as eth1 (eth0 is the wired port) and I would expect yours
to be the same.

I'm running FC3 in which the network configuration's "devices" tab has
"edit" and edit has a "wireless" tab.

That should be all you need.

> Secondly, I'm a bit bemused on how to use iwconfig. Can I just select
> auto (the man page looks like I can) which will just pick everything
> that is open up?

As root, on my LAN this would get you going.
ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid <whatever> key On|Off|s:key|asciikey \
   rate auto [commit]
dhclient eth1

The first should load the config. I've not needed to load modules, muck
around with aliases on 2.6 kernels.
This incantation of iwconfig sets the essid (base station name),
determines whether to use wep, sets the link speed and commits the
changes. In my limited experience "commit" is not needed.

You might also need to add "mode managed." If so, before the essid: the
order matters, but is logical.

> Before someone says this is the test list - yes, I know it is. The
> machine the wlan is on is a laptop running rawhide so the answer may not
> be the same for the testing kernel and setup as it is for FC < 5
>
> TTFN

YMMV

--

Cheers