sky2 driver

Christian Magnusson mag at mag.cx
Mon Feb 13 08:29:53 UTC 2006

I have noticed some glitches in the sky2 network driver... It has
stopped twice without much load at all, and the second time I had a
chance to look at dmesg and read the error messages.

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
sky2 eth0: tx timeout
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
sky2 transmit interrupt missed? recovered
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
sky2 eth0: tx timeout
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
sky2 transmit interrupt missed? recovered
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
sky2 eth0: tx timeout
(network is dead, but mii-tool show link ok)

After 20-30 messages like this, the driver doesn't work anymore.... and
I have to reload the module to make the network traffic start again.

I'm running kernel 2.6.15-1.1917_FC5 and the card is a:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E
Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 19)
02:00.0 0200: 11ab:4362 (rev 19)

Are there more people how has seen this problem?

/Christian