smbfs not in the kernel

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:25:12 UTC 2006

There is an smbfs module and a cifs module in the kernel.  The smbfs module
is deprecated; use cifs (i.e. 'mount -t cifs...')

Trying to use smbfs will yield the error message below; using cifs will get
you where you want to go; I did the same thing, and had the same problem; my
post, along with a similar response, is somewhere back in the mailing list
archive.