Problems getting my wireless card to work

Stelian Iancu stelian.iancu at gmx.net
Mon Feb 13 22:00:28 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have just installed FC5 Test2 on my laptop (HP Pavilion zt3010us)
which has a Intel Pro wireless card (centrino).

After a lot of reading on the net, I've discovered that, although the
driver (ipw2100) is present in the kernel, I don't have the firmware for
this card. So I have downloaded the firmware rpm
(ipw2100-firmware-1.3-2.noarch.rpm from freshrpms.net) and installed it.
Then I've setup manually the IP address of the interface (to
192.168.2.10, the wireless router and gateway is 192.168.2.1) and
rebooted. Now the problem is that Fedora doesn't start anymore. It gets
stuck trying to start sendmail. I've tried the interactive startup and
skipped sendmail, but then the whole thing is really slow, it takes ages
until I get to the login screen. Even then, ifconfig shows me correctly
eth1 with the correct address, route shows me that 192.168.2.1 is the
gateway (although it takes quite a while until I see the gateway line)
and in /etc/resolv.conf I have the correct DNS server. But pinging
192.168.2.1 doesn't work, I get Destination host unreachable.

So, any ideas how can I proceed further? FC5 seems very promising, and I
must say I like a lot what I've seen so far, but this issue is a
showstopper for me (my router is in another room and I don't want to
have wires all over the house).

Many thanks!

With regards,
Stelian Iancu