Bling!

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Feb 16 18:07:46 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 12:57 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>>Is there any particular reason gdm (and kdm for that matter) don't
>>simply default to /usr/bin/X?  It's supposed to be the default X
>>server, which seems a better way to handle it IMHO.  Then one merely
>>need point the /usr/bin/X symlink to the server of choice, in theory
>>at least.
>

> I'd far rather be making changes to config files than doing the symlink
> voodoo we used to

The way the symlink voodoo was done before via Xconfigurator, I'd
agree, as it was IMHO quite a nasty mess.  It doesn't need to be
such a disaster though, at least in theory.  ;oP

I'd prefer for there to never ever be more than one X server to ever
want to install, thus making /usr/bin/X a hardlink to /usr/bin/Xlinux,
but that has some drawbacks too. ;)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.