Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 01:24:17 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, David D. Hagood <wowbagger at sktc.net> wrote:
> Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver?
> gnome-screensaver does not do DPMS, so my monitor stays on all the time
> boiling the cathodes away. gnome-screensaver doesn't have the eyecandy
> that xscreensaver has. In short, it seems a far less capable replacement.
I think gnome-screensaver's upstream webpages explain the long term advantages
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScreensaver
is xscreensaver using dbus controls?
does xscreenssaver allow switching users from the locked dialog?
does xscreensaver allow for system level mandatory policy definitions
with regard to how it can be configured?

You might not understand, in the short-term, the long-term benefits to
moving to a solution which allows these things.. but they are much
more useful features than being able to run arbitrary eyecandy...
especially on multi-user systems/networks.

DPMS is being handled by gnome-power-manager
assuming you have all the updates applied
Desktop->Preferences->More Preferences->Power Management
or right click on the power management icon in the panel if its visible

-jef