Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:03:25 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> UI issues aside..you'd have to store the per-user configs somewhere...
> that means making room in GConf for per-xscreensaver-hack
> configuration keys. Which means creating schema for each and every
> xscreensaver-hack which could take per-user configs as well as keys
> which can be applied across all screensaver-hacks on a per-user basis.
> So that it could be locked down at a site policy level.

I think you are making it sound like a bigger problem than it really is.

The way xscreensaver is set up means that only one key would need to
be saved per custom screensaver (that is, a string of command line
arguments which get passed to the screensaver.) You would not need to
create schema for each and every "hack".

What I proposed is a global 'disable_all_advanced_config' key that
would apply to all screensavers. If that doesn't provide enough
lock-down capability, then I suppose a 'disable_advanced_config' key
per screensaver (which is per .desktop file I suppose) could be used
-- I still don't think this is unreasonably difficult to implement.

n0dalus.