fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 91

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 23:57:45 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Bulbul Alamgir <balamgir at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have one hard drive with 3 partitions and currently
> has Windows 2000 Professional on the 1st partition and
> Windows XP Professional on the 2nd partition. The 3rd
> partition is empty and not formatted yet. I would like
> to install Fesdora Core 4 (Desktop version) on the 3rd
> partition but keeping the first two partitions intact
> and make it a multiple boot system. I have booted with
> the Fedora Core 4 CD, selected "Automatic Partition"
> and then selected "Keep all partitions and use
> existing free space" option. But it tells me that it
> is unable to create the partion and something
> regarding the Root. I am not sure waht the problem is
> and not very good on manual partitioning. Do not wanna
> loose the other operating system. Your help will be
> very much appreciated.

Well, if you have a third partition allocated, then that is not free
space.  If you want to do automatic partitioning, just (carefully!)
delete the third partition.  You can do this with DOS fdisk or with
Linux fdisk after booting the install.  To do so in the install, at
some point press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and type fdisk /dev/hda (or replace hda
with your hard disk device, though it is probably hda).  Make sure you
backup everything you really have to have just in case.  Doing
anything with partitioning and installing could potentially mess
something up.  Besides, you should make backups anyway, right? : )

Some administrative stuff:

This is the test list, meaning not for FC4, but FC5T{1,2,3} and
Rawhide.  This kind of question would be better sent to the Fedora
users list: fedora-list at redhat.com

When writing an email to any list, do not reply to a message to start
a new topic.  Compose a new message.  Messages are threaded, and
replying messes up the threading.  Always pick a meaningful subject as
well.

Either do not get message digests, or make sure to change the subject
to match the thread you are responding to, if you are responding.
Message digests just do not work all that well, especially the
text-only (I think the other option is called MIME, which allows you
to reply to individual messages and can work okay).

Jonathan