Fast user switching from Davyd's GNOME 2.14 preview

Nathan Grennan fedora-test-list at cygnusx-1.org
Mon Feb 20 17:02:26 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Yes - basically, without finding a good, solid solution to device
> ownership (groups aren't it), having fast user switching on is
> very problematic.

  I would think there wouldn't be a "secure" way to do this. Giving
multiple users access to mounted external drives would be problematic.
Things to worry about less would be video and sound devices.

  Overall though I don't think flat out disabling the option is the best
solution. In my mind the only option that would work would be groups,
unless dyanmically changing ACLs might work. A compromise would be to
add an option to enable it with a security warning. It isn't like people
don't setup their desktops to auto-login knowing they are comprimising
security. But overall with physical access any form of security other
than encrypted everything is pretty much worthless, and encrypted
everything is not the default either.