Fast user switching - or other

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:39:09 UTC 2006

2006/2/21, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au>:
> Gerry Tool wrote:
> >> Windows XP does a lot of really really ugly things that we shouldn't
> >> copy.  This being one of them.
> >>
> > I agree.  User switching should not even be in Windows XP.  It causes a
> > lot of confusion with laziness being the most usual reason for using it.
>
> I find that when admin'ing a machine that the ability to tell a GUI tool
> that I want it to start with root rights would be handy. My current
> method is invike a terminal, su - in that terminal, then start the app,
> in background.
>
> I know that some apps (I guess ones that are marked as being useless
> without root access), invoke the ~"please give root password" dialog.
> Is there already a nice way to start other programs (most common example
> for me: nmapfe and gnome-terminal) as root (or even another user) ?
>
> DaveT.
>
> --

just use consolehelper and to mass deploy it just create an rpm
package adding the consolehelper stuff for e.g. gnome-terminal calling
it something like gnome-terminal-rootaccess and let it depend on
gnome-terminal.
I just dont see where this is different to opening a terminal and
typing su -. dont even t hink it can be faster accessed etc.
autologin into an environment as root isnt the way of "admining" id propose.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl