Fedora Core 5 test 3 - grub

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 12:01:34 UTC 2006

Hi;
  I upgraded test2 to test 3.
All went well, it said it would save my previous settings.

However /etc/sysconfig/kernel was changed.
UPDATEDEFAULT=no became yes, and grub was defaulted to the new kernel.

This was nasty as this is a family machine with 3 hard drives.
The default is XP.
Lots of "Dad!!" and "Mick!!" yells, when it was next powered up.
An easy fix but unexpected.

I have never upgraded before but could not find my DSL info handy, so
tried it.
I would normally do a complete install.
I do a daily 'yum upgrade' both on FC5Tx and FC4.

I know this is a test release and upgrading is probably frowned upon.
The loader recommended it however.

Mick M.

Death before Decaf!!!