Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 24 12:17:00 UTC 2006

Dave Atkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 17:53 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> James Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Jonathan Berry wrote:
> . . .
>>> Yes, but... wasn't that only added after users raised a major ruckus
>>> about the imposition of spatial mode?
>>>
>> It was previously configurable as GConf key.
>>
>> --
>> Rahul
>
> The Gnome bog-standard answer "Configurable as a GConf key" translates
> to "not user configurable" for most end users.
>
> Whereas, a tick-box in the Nautilus preferences control panel could do
> the same thing with minimal pain.
>
> It seems silly to put all the code in to modify the window behavior, and
> look-and-feel, and not go the extra 10% to write a means to configure
> it.
>
> D.

Gconfig-editor is not even pulled in for default installations. This
would make setting the toggles a little bit less user configurable.

I re-installed FC5T2 on a computer and did note that at least
gnome-screensaver can be toggled off and does not need removed post-install.

In fairness, the program does work a little and seems somewhat basic. If
  you like bare-bones type of applications. Reconfigurability is of
course less than desirable. (All, blank, one or none.)

Jim