Burning ISOs

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Feb 25 21:45:24 UTC 2006

I'm surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned the two most valuable
tips when having problems with CD-burning quality:

 * Burn at low speeds.  8x is usually good, 4x is failsafe.
 * Get quality media.  Nothing results in more coasters than poor-quality
media.

Pretty much any tool is going to use cdrecord on the backend, so you just need
to figure out what options to set.  Start by adjusting speed options.  Try to
keep your system idle while burning, and make sure you have decent throughput
to your drive.

Many tools, including K3B, support verification of the written data, but this
is only a secondary measure.  It is much better to avoid problems in the
first place rather than have to detect them afterwards.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/