ugrading & reiser

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 1 23:16:34 UTC 2006

Petr Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) can I upgrade directly from FC3 to FC5?
> 2) can I upgrade FC4 with reiser root file system to FC5 - any problems
> with resier root partition recognition in anaconda?
>
> Thanks! pf

I seen your question on both the fedora lst and this test list. I did
not hear any mention that reiserfs was removed. I guess the most sure
way is to download the FC5 Test 1 disks when it is released and see if
the installer is happy with the reiserfs.

There was talk that xfs needed selinux disabled, so it should be
supported as in the past.

For FC3 to FC5 upgrade, things might be a bit harder because of packages
being transferred over to fedora Extras which used to be included in
Fedora core. These packages will not get upgraded until you run yum
update after the install is completed. Also, there are a lot of Java
pckages in FC5 which were not available in FC3. You might need to check
the release notes in FC4 for package additions as well as FC5 release
notes to see if there are any packages which you desire. On upgrades,
they will not be added.

Jim