Rawhide firefox

Jonathan Corbet lwn-fedora-test at lwn.net
Thu Jan 5 16:26:50 UTC 2006

John Ellson <ellson at research.att.com> wrote:

> Can you get any more clues about where it is dying by running it under
> strace with:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64/firefox-1.5 strace
> /usr/lib64/firefox-1.5/firefox-bin

I'd sort of given up on trying to strace firefox problems - even if you
narrow things, its a real needle-in-the-haystack task.  But it points a
pretty clear finger this time:

open("/usr/share/fonts/ja/sazanami-gothic.ttf", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "\nPango-ERROR **: file basic-fc.c"..., 110

I'd missed the Pango gripe before as well:

	Pango-ERROR **: file basic-fc.c:
	line 347 (basic_engine_shape): assertion failed: (face != NULL)

It looks like something similar to what David just reported.  Now, don't
ask *why* it wants that particular font for news.google.com...

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net