Online resizing of ext3 filesystems {shrink}

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 20:03:58 UTC 2006

Chris Adams wrote:

> Without shrink, expand is not all that useful.  With LVM, shrink and
> expand can be used to re-allocate free space to different filesystems.
> Without shrink, that can't be done.

Yes it can, initially leave plenty of unused space within your VGs, only
allocate and grow each LV as it actually demands it, so you never have
to steal from one LV to give space to another.

If you grow by appending an additional LE to the LV you end up
fragmented within the LV, if possible add a new LE of the whole desired
size of the LV, then remove the existing LE.

I don't know many real world servers where users end up using *less*
space, it's always *more* space, so growing is always more important
than shrinking ...