Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 12:04:11 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:40:33AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> the case of IP networks, for network connections to be considered
> 'per-user', and hence for WEP keys or WPA certificates to be considered
> such too. I have no objection to NetworkManager attempting to
> accommodate this strange view of the world in _addition_ to the normal
> setup.

You are confusing connections and authorisation. The two are very different.
Another clear example is bluetooth. If you are remotely logged into my
machine and I'm testing bluetooth IP links on my phone I don't want you
using it. More to the point if I'm on bluetooth I don't want daemons using
the link either by default...

> What I object to is the fact that it no longer supports the _normal_
> form of operation, where the network is a system-wide resource, set up
> automatically at boot time. I have to actually log in and enter a
> password now in order for my machine to connect to the network, and
> that's a serious regression.

Its more secure 8)

Most keys belong system wide. The UI certainly needs something along the lines
of "Share this key with other users [ ]"

Alan