More on pulling in mono (was Rawhide updates 14th Jan 2006)

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 19:58:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > That's just it - I have never installed mono, other than from the
> > source, on this machine.
>
> Based on the information you have so far presented, this is difficult
> to believe.

Unless something has sucked it in as a dependency, I have not installed
it. Full stop. I compile mono up from source and have been for an age
now.

> And you need to choose your words much more carefully in
> the future when you are reporting odd behavior. Your original report
> said that yum was "installing" mono-core.  There is a distinction with
> "installing" and "updating".. a distinction that is made clear even in
> the summary report yum gives you. mono-core is being "updated" and not
> "installed"

True, there is a difference. The question though is what on earth
installed it as I have not issued yum -y install mono-core on any other
machine other than the one at work. If it is being dragged in as a
dependency by an established package which previously didn't drag it in
then that again is a different matter.

I repeat though, I have not installed it via yum as a direct command.

> And I have to assume the command you did was yum -d 6 update.  Please
> when showing output always start with the exact command you use to
> initiate the yum session.

Will do in future.

> > I check when I do updates and nothing.
>
> You checked what exactly?  You haven't presented us with any
> information concerning the state of your rpm database before you
> attempted any update.  Before you attempt an update,   yum list
> mono-core

What I normally do is a simple yum -y update based on the previous days
rawhide update. I would imagine that as mono only appeared in the last 6
days (or so), that a package which previously didn't need mono now does
and that dragged it in and for some reason, I've missed it.

TTFN

Paul
--
"wir kamen, wir sahen, wir traten ihren Esel" - Dr Venkman, Ghostbusters