FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 22 13:20:35 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Talking about throwing the baby along with the bathwater. If Bugzilla is
> not optimal, lets fix that problem instead trading one set of pain with
> another by switching to a new tracking system unless bugzilla is non
> fixable. List specifically all the gripes that you have with bugzilla or
> even better help us fix it.

We'll start with "it's painfully slow."

I'm on dialup, it seems like it takes minutes to do an enquiry.

We'll proceed to "its UI is cumbersome." Especially for those not
already familiar with it. If you make changes, don't rely on experienced
users to evaluate it, get some tyros, people you'd like to enrol as
helpers for the future. I could also mention, "it's confusing." Some of
the problem, I think, is in Red Hat's implementation and the way its
ordered the data. If I want to report a problem in the kernel, let me
identify the kernel, maybe kernel-2.6.10-1.760_dl3, and you can match it
up with your view of the "product."

I've also used Debian's BTS: while it's not brilliant, it can search for
matching bugs, and it can work offline without referent to the master
database. Since Debian has way more packages & architectures than
RH/Fedora, I presume the size of its database isn't a problem from its
performance perspective. OTOH I note Ubuntu uses BZ so maybe developers
don't like it so well.

One of the things you might like about bts is that it's a script that
runs on the user system which is usually the one with the problem, and
it can get some basic information about the software installed and the
hardware in use. For the users' peace of mind, it allows her to see
what's being said, and on her okay, mails it to the bts.

Would that help Mike Harris sort out video problems? I think it would.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait