FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Mon Jan 23 15:57:34 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> on 01/23/2006 10:27 AM added:

>>> Please explain what is good about the everything installation option.
>>> Dont throw around vague notions.
>>>

>> It saves me time when selecting packages to install.
>
>Which ones?

All of them.  Thats the whole point.

>> It saves me time to not have to install packages individually.
>
>What are you using your system for?. Is it a
>desktop/workstation/server/development system?. Doesnt it fit into one
>of these profiles?

Correct, It doesn't fit.  My usage profile (like many others on this
list) is a superset of those categories.
I've found that none of the existing profiles suits my needs.
They each have something missing.  My laptop is:
 - a desktop,
 - a workstation,
 - a server
 - a development system.

Because I use the 'desktop' of my 'workstation' to 'develop' 'server'
applications.

Actually, given your attitude against the 'all' profile,
you can't really justify having a 'workstation', or server', or
any other arbitrary profile either.  Given your rationalization,
they whould all be removed too!

>> I don't have to download packages (via yum or whatever) that have
>> already been downloaded in the isos.
>
>You cant work with them using the current tools provided anyway.

The point is, as has been mentioned a million time already in this thread,
Its a great inconvienience to have to push every button manually.
Especially in light of the fact that this feature:
  _used_ to exist,
  _was_ being used by a lot of people.
  and has been _removed_.

Its not as if we are asking for a 'new' feature,
we just want our 'old' feature back.

> Thats
>what we are trying to fix already. If you dont use yum to keep yourself
>updated installing everything is dangareous since it brings in potential
>security issues with packages you wouldnt even use.

Yup, and I/we are willing to risk that, and deal with the issues.

>> I don't need a kickstart file.
>
>> I don't need to waste space on disk with rpms when I already have the
>> package installed from the initial installation.
>
>You waste disk space by installing packages you wouldnt use. You will to
>keep packages updated. Performance would do down with deamons and other
>session programs. You would be installing tons of world languages which
>you wouldnt be using and so on.

Yup.  wasting disk space is _our_ choice, not yours.  You select the
packages you want to install, and we get to select the packages _we_ want
install.

Performance issues... yup. we will live with it.
world languages...    yup, we will live with it.

The bottom line, is its _our_ choice as the installers, not yours.
While I've been reading this thread, there seems to be a whole lot
of people who are addemant about having this bug (where the everything
option
appears to now be missing) fixed.

You have received a lot of feedback and justification for having it
re-instated,
but you seem to be reluctant to accept the fact that:

"PEOPLE WANT IT BACK".

It seems to me that there are more people, with more justifications that
want
it back, than you and your rationalizations.

(Please note that I _am_ trying to be civil about this.)