FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 23 17:44:18 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi

<snip>

>>> What are you using your system for?. Is it a
>>> desktop/workstation/server/development system?. Doesnt it fit into
>>> one of these profiles?
>>

>> No it doesn't fit into one of those "profiles". I am (and have been
>> since FC1) using it for Test and Evaluation of SELinux. *One* of the
>> things I am looking at is how well this pervasive technology
>> integrates with a reasonable sized distribution/OS. Also, I'm trying
>> to see what the maintenance burden is when a large number of
>> programs/packages are in play. For example, what will it take to keep
>> policy current for all the package changes coming through rawhide?
>
> Yum.
You misunderstood my concerns and what I am investigating. Let me try
restating: Considering the rate of change in Core (as shown by the
number of changes in rawhide) what part of those changes require changes
to the policy sources to accommodate them. Dan Walsh and a few others
seem to be able to keep up with the simplified "targeted" policy. But a
large part of creating the modular approach seems to be to shift the
creation and maintenance of policy to respective developers of each
package/program. "Is that really a good approach", is one of my
questions. Doogfooding rawhide is only a small part of what I'm doing
and doing an everything install with "one click" saves me time.

That's part of my "use case". Call it a corner case if you like but
remember that there are many others out there. The fact that the
"everything" selection has been in RedHat at least since 7.0 and that it
was put in in the first place should lend some credence to it's
usefulness.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance,
Richard