FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 21:57:21 UTC 2006

Hi

>>>Let's see *your* cost/benefit analysis.
>>>

>>Not to anyone who rather would name call rather indulge in good
>>discussions. This is not constructive.
>>

>I haven't resorted to that, could I see your cost/benefit analysis please?

When users ask for features the rationale is supplied by them. However I
have already presented by ideas

*  Everything installation installs every package including all the
language package that is definitely not going to be useful for anyone in
the same time. There is obsoletely no requirement to install all the
language packages except the l10N QA team which is a corner case
*  Everything installation is not really everything since it doesnt
support additional repos like Fedora Extras yet during installation
*  It adds increase burden of manageability (just look at GFS kernel
module issues in FC4 as a prominent example of how many users ran into a
unnecessary issue even though they werent using  GFS or werent aware of
it just because they did a everything installation)
* The local and remote vulnerability potential increases due to the
amount of updates that that user has to install
* For dialup users keep their system updated can be even more harder due
to unnecessary packages
* Performance of the system can go down to unnecessary services and
session programs

Better package management has resulted in much more flexibility post
installation to install software on demand. Not enough good use cases in
support for a everything installation has been presented. So if you want
to lobby for a particular feature kindly present additional reasons why
it is being required for end users who wouldnt be able to use kickstart,
select particular groups during installation,  pirut or put post
installation. When Fedora Core reduces in size, everything installation
might be more of a feasible option. Just that some users want it is not
a good reason to implement any feature without understanding the cost
involved in long term maintenance and support.

--
Rahul