Fedora floating screensaver stutters

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:39:27 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:

> Or just select a different one if it is too slow for you.  For a
> majority of computers (I have an ATI and Nvidia) the open source drivers
> should work fine.  Stutter does happen when it first starts because it
> loads up a bunch of different images into memory and at that point it is
> more disk I/O.  3d hardware support doesn't do a thing here because it
> is all just blasting different size bitmaps onto the screen and moving
> them around.  Most open source drivers should handle this fine.

I have a 2.8G P4 with 1GB of ram and a Radeon 9600XT.

It is very jerky on startup, but even after that it stutters when too
many logos are moving around at once ( at least for me ). Perhaps it
is the high resolution I am using (1600x1200). I  know it's not 3d,
but in my experience 2d rendering had been improved a lot with the
proprietary drivers.

I know I can select a different one, but if the default one isn't able
to run smoothly on this kind of hardware maybe it shouldn't be the
default.

n0dalus.