FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jan 25 22:25:56 UTC 2006

Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > The problem is, folks don't want to go through each category and
> > > select "everything" they like the simple one click and done
> > > option.

> > Again just dont keep telling me you dont like to do this. Tell me
> > why it needs to be a single click?.

> because some people *want* it that way.

Right. Some people *want* a KDE only installation by one click. Others
"just the webserver stuff" by one click. Ad nauseam. That way you'll end up
with hundereds of "single click" options, and that kind of defeats their
purpose.

Besides, "everything" is dangerous. It makes no sense to install the
webserver and the FTP server and the telnet server and two or three mail
servers and... just because that is somehow more convenient than finding
out what is needed and installing that.And if you are in charge of a dozen
machines, you can't squirm your way out by saying you are not a sysadmin,
and thus not required to learn a bit about kickstart. Best part about that
is that with a little care you set it up and tweak it when something new
comes around, almost maintenance-free (even for distribution upgrades).

>                                         why is that so difficult to
> understand?  if you object to that kind of inconvenience, then you
> should similarly object to the convenience offered by things like
> "workstation" install, which is simply a shortcut as well.

It is. But one that has not just "some" people, but a large(ish) fraction
of the target population as users.