FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 26 00:41:49 UTC 2006

Horst von Brand wrote:
> Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>>The major reason that I used the everything install in the recent past
>>was the lack of packages that I liked being marked down the list and
>>not selectable without using the everything installation choice.
>

> Did you report that obvious bug?

I filed a bug for FC5T1 but not for problems where I just selected
everything and un-installed the language packages later. I should have
filed a bug related to the specific packages I wanted but were not
selectable.

>>Another reason for the rational resurrection of the everything install
>>is because of groups of packages that are modularized and which bring
>>up a lot of needless clicking on selections.
>

> Did you suggest a better layout?

The layout in the FC5T2 is a great layout and it is obvious that a lot
of thought was put into the new installer. The problems that I see now
are related to programs which do not show up on the installer selection
screen. Also I see a problem where programs that are quite a deal less
useful are not de-selectable and must be rpm -e useless-package after
the installation is completed. The groups might be tailored where core
libraries that are used by the major program do not show selectable, but
individual front-ends to CLI programs or programs that can be removed
without major dependency issues. This type of selection ability would
appease a large spectrum of users.

> Besides, after wanting "everything", you talk about "useless packages"
> being selected...  now which one is it?

The major gripe was that gftp is not selected as a usual program to
install and gnome-screensaver is not selectable. I use gftp frequently
and choose it along with mozilla-mail and the rest of the suite. I also
need to manually select mc and a few other programs. It is mainly a
gripe where programs that I do not use are default and programs where I
find very little redemption to are installed without having the initial
ability to not select the program.

I do not think that I would select an everything install with the shape
that pirut and the installer are in now. I do feel that users should be
able to opt for a full install if they desire to install everything.

As someone stated, webmail companies added this feature so users can
manage their systems better. Also, RHN used to have a select all feature
and the feature came in handy to save steps. I see no problem with
adding a way that one can set the installer to install everything and
then be able to work their way down to smaller sets of selected packages.

Jim

--
It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy" in Jonesboro, Georgia.