FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 10:00:07 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Horst von Brand <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

> That there are 100 users that really (think) they
> need it doesn't make it fly.

See below...

>  Need to consider how much it costs to cater
> for them, and if they are few and the cost is high

We keep being told the cost is high, but that is never being
quantified.  I am beginning to think that it is high on pride to have
to change your mind and give the users what they obviously will miss.

If it is possible for me to click all the options myself manually,
then its possible to automate it.

> worthwhile. The crux of the problem is that from the chair in front of the
> machine-to-be-installed the costs look a whole lot different than from the
> chair of the engineer who has to implement it and of the other one who has
> to deal with the fallout...
>
> Note again, the talk is about an "Everything" install, but a quite strange
> one: No "languages I don't use", please

Nope, install it all even if you or I current think I am not going to use it.

> no "useless packages"

Nope, install it all even if you or I current think I am not going to use it.

>  "just Core" but "all I might need
> once in a blue moon"

Nope, install it all even if you or I current think I am not going to use it.

> Rahul is right: Come up with /concrete/ cases of off-the-wall
> configurations that can't be handled nicely right now, and suggest ways to
> handle them sanely.

Good suggestions are being given, but in the replies they are either
dismissed or snipped.

> Give guesstimates of numbers of users.

I could give estimates, but you are likely to think they are biased
towards my opinion, just like I think your estimates are biased
towards your opinion (only 100 users only want this?  seems low to me,
particularly given the length of the discussion and the cry of "oh no,
not this again" response to the first post to query it.  its clearly a
contentious decision, and its contentious because people use it and
want it).

> Note that one-off
> power-user profiles won't cut it too much

this is an example of a suggestion being dismissed.  why should power
users suffer?

> as those (should) know their way
> around and so be able to tweak the install to their heart's content anyway.

Power users tend to like to take the shortest path to something.  If
you remove that shortest path and it is not replaced by something
better, do not be surprised when they want it back.