FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Stanton Finley stanfinley at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 17:20:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 02:21 -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 20:03 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > No it doesnt. I made my argument with detailed rationale on why I
> > > believe it is not useful in general cases. If you disagree with me, feel
> > > free to do so but I would like to hear a detailed set of use cases that
> > > make it a convincing enough argument for Anaconda to support it for end
> > > users apart from Kickstart capability.
>
> > What most people complain about here is AFAICS that we completely
> > removed (instead of just hid) an option they valued and that was a well
> > tested (by them), supposedly no-brainer sort of code path, very much
> > unlikely to give any problems down the road. Granted we have a new
> > package selector in anaconda now, but I guess adding back the Everything
> > checkbox and code, perhaps hidden behind an "offereverything" boot
> > loader option (so we don't scare away unsuspecting types) can't be that
> > much of an effort. I'd say it would be worth the trouble, because then
> > we could end this discussion.
>
> Yet again: The code to do this is probably quite simple. The problem is the
> fallout in form of non-working systems with weird sympthoms, security
> problems caused by forgotten servers installed, performance problems due to
> unnecesary stuff running (or at least on disk), longer update times (and
> higher load on mirrors). The (missing) feature you see, it's fallout you
> don't.
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand                   User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria              +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile                Fax:  +56 32 797513

I just spent about and hour ticking check boxes because I wanted
everything. I want to test it, play with it, break it, fix it. I have
the bandwidth and the disk space. If in the process of my explorations I
find I need an application or library, I want it to be there. I want to
see Japanese characters when I access a Japanese web page. I want the
Polish professor in my LUG to see Polish when he borrows my laptop.
Please give me back that option, even if you hide it.

Stanton Finley
http://stanton-finley.net/