yum update fails - test pup's capabilities..

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 30 01:21:48 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Doug Fordham wrote:
>
>> You can update other packages not affected by the current broken
>> dependencies by running the following as root:
>>
>> yum --exclude=evolution-data-server.i386
>> --exclude=evolution-data-server-debuginfo.i386 --exclude=evolution
>> --exclude=control-center --exclude=gnome-panel
>> --exclude=evolution-webcal --exclude=gaim --exclude=gnome-panel-devel
>> update

>> Doug
>>

> For the bored of repeating ourselves, can we specify --exclude once, but
> with multiple arguments separated by comma or something ?
> DaveT.

You should not need to do all of the --exclude ... entries now. No
problems with deps in rawhide.

Regarding pup and rhgb problems. I removed rpm then reinstalled rhgb
with pirut and did not get any errors installing rhgb with pirut. Of
course the package search is not yet implemented for pirut, but checking
on the X group allowed rhgb to be pulled in again.
If pup downloaded but did not install properly, it could be because of
%post scriptlet failures. I submitted a bug on this problem and it seems
that the factors leading to the errors is now fixed. (adjustments to
selinux-policy). You might need to check out your system for multiple
revisions and for other programs that keep downloading but never
installing. A %post scriptlet failure would cause the program to
download, fail at %post scriptlet and never install. Each time that you
updated, the package would be set for installation again.

Also, the version of rhgb that you have installed is bad on its %post
scriptlet and bails out for the next upgrade attempt. If you try to
remove rhgb with rpm and see if it fails or works, you could then yum
install or use the alternative updating programs.

Regarding getting error output with pup, running it from a terminal
should show you the output errors in the terminal. That is how I
diagnose program errors on my end.

Jim

--
Some scholars are like donkeys, they merely carry a lot of books.
		-- Folk saying