cups 1.2

kmberry kmberry at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 6 11:05:52 UTC 2006

kmberry wrote:
>> Re: cups 1.2
>>
>>     * From: Tim Waugh <twaugh redhat com>
>>     * To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
>> <fedora-test-list redhat com>
>>     * Subject: Re: cups 1.2
>>     * Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:13:52 +0100
>>
>> On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 08:00 -0400, kmberry wrote:
>>> Cups messed up again when I tried to print a map for next week.
>>> Anybody know how to fix it?  The last time it messed up I posted it
>>> as a bug and redhat fixed it.
>>
>> Well, how about trying that again? ;-)
>>
>> Tim.
>> */

>>                 + From: kmberry

> OK, today is July 6, 2006 on the east coast.  I have been unemployed
> for over a year and I am bankrupt.  I just barely got cups working
> last time by killing every process associated with it over and over
> again and then waiting a few hours while the gtk gui hanged space shot
> each time I finally got it communicating then the printer would work
> one time. Today it is 6:00am and I got an interview at an employment
> agency for a hard labor job at 8:30am.  I figure I can get the printer
> working one time and sleep an hour since I need a fresh resume.  I
> don't think Im going to the interview now.  Thanks alot buddy.

OK, the cups gui is still hangin' a half hour later space shot, as usual
port 631 doesn't work anymore(although it amazingly worked one time
around the time select # of kernels yum plugin came out) and cups-config
daemon is deprecated.  I switched from using openoffice which just
hanged on print to abiword and the resume printed so I am going to the
job interview.  Cups gui finally came back-it was shot because if you
select anything besides server settings it does that.  Its on printer
now and showing no information or a blank screen.  If I fool around with
it for 5 or 6 hours I might succeed in configuring it all over again
after I erase the /etc/cups directory and it will recommend some
lm1100(can't remember its name) driver for my Lexmark Z53.  I now have
lp on Z53 because the other Z53 with some stuff about gimp-print printed
next to its text description doesn't work even though its the same
driver.  Printer was created because I couldn't get the gui to work at
all and it had printer as a default name(I wanted to get applications
printing easier by just using lp and started doing this some years ago)
then the gui worked and printer is on lm1100 its recommended driver.
Initially the server wouldn't connect at all and one time the gui
initialized with  /var/run/cups/cups.sock(something like that) in the
server name window and connected.  Now it is connecting but the gui
doesn't work as far as showing the printers-it will just hang for about
half hour and not show any information.