no more desktop after 20060720 updates

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Jul 23 20:21:49 UTC 2006

Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is 'metacity' running?

Nope.

> Try: 'ps algx | grep metacity'. If nothing, then metacity is not running.

It does show the grep process ;-)

> Try starting it from one of your (misplaced) terminal windows:
> 'metacity&' and see what happens.

I can't ever get that far: The fedora splash shows, the first icon (Window
manager) shows up, but it stays there.

> Is 'gnome-panel' running?

Neither

>                           If not, do similar as above.

> Also, there has been a problem with some of the latest
> 'xorg-x11-xinit' packages.  Which one are you running? If 1.0.2-7,
> rename /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/localuser.sh to something harmless.

1.0.2-8.fc6 (today's update)

Scratch all that. It is now running, but took a /very/ long time to get that
far (time enough to check the above while composing this mail).